Established in 2014, Point-Virgule is a little Saturday school which teaches French as mother tongue to francophone children attending English primary schools. Point-Virgule is based in Islington and belongs to the FLAM (Français LAngue Maternelle) network supported by the French Ministry for Foreign Affairs and has obtained the status of “Registered Charity ” in February 2016. Point-Virgule’s mission is to offer lessons inspired by the French national curriculum, tailored to our students’ levels and promoting learning through activities, games and exploration.
Point-Virgule currently offers lessons for children from 4 to 13 years old.
- The 4-5 years old: Point-Virgule encourages children to express themselves in French using verbal exchanges, games and songs.
- The 5-6 years old: Point-Virgule introduces the more simple sounds and spellings (phonemes and graphemes) specific to the French language.
- The 6-7 years old: the study of the phonemes and graphemes continues with the more difficult ones.
- The 8-9 years old: when the phonemes and graphemes are assimilated, Point-Virgule starts the study of basic grammar and conjugation, and the spelling of the most used words.
- The 9-11 years old: the study of grammar, conjugation and spelling continues.
- Over 12 years old: revision of grammar, conjugation and spelling, preparation for the French GCSE.
The lessons are taught by qualified teachers whose mother tongue is French. The teachers speak to the children exclusively in French. The number of pupils per class is limited to 10 to guarantee that each child gets the proper attention of the teacher.